~ 1874 – On May 7th construction began for the then “Bible Christian” Church when the Honourable Senator John Simpson laid the first cornerstone.
The property had once been the site of a hotel, owed by a Mr. Pye, but that building was relocated across the street and moved North a year earlier and exists today as a house.
The total cost to build was $7,000 with plenty of labour and materials being donated by local members. Mr. Wm. Cann donated the wood for the pews.
The bell was purchased from St. John’s Anglican Church in Bowmanville, paid for mostly by Mrs. H. Elliott who believed a true church wasn’t a church unless it had a bell.
~ 1875 – On Feb 5th the building was dedicated with the community celebrating the opening of the Church with morning, afternoon and evening services, as well as a dinner that cost 75¢ per person (dinner 50¢/ tea 25¢).
~ 1884 – Became a Methodist Chapel when the Bible Christian and Methodist churches merged. Continue reading “1874 – Construction Began”