When we meet
Every second month (Sept/Nov/Jan/March/May), on the first Tuesday of that month, at 9:00 am in the Church’s Centennial Room. Check announcements page for next date. Everyone welcome.
Each spring a Prayer Shawl Ministry gathering is also hosted by an area church. A wide range of denominations attend. Churches take a turn hosting the event so watch for the notice in the Announcements for the next event. The gathering takes place in the morning starting with coffee and muffins. Then it’s all about sharing ideas and patterns for Prayer Shawl Ministry.
Reaching out in Christian Love to bring peace, comfort, love, hope, and healing to the person who receives a shawl knowing that they are in our prayers.
To reach out to others in prayer and love.
There is a large group of knitters and crocheters from each church (Eldad/Hampton Pastoral Charge) who make prayer shawls and a number of other items for the sick and young. Each item contains the prayers of the knitter and the shawls are dedicated during a church service wherein the congregation has the opportunity to add their prayers to the shawl after the service. This ministry brings peace and comfort to a number of people. The group determines who is to receive shawls and those receiving shawls need not be members of Eldad or Hampton congregations.
Lap Throws sent to Lakeridge Health – R. S. McLaughlin Durham Regional Cancer Centre, Oshawa.
Cancer patients are provided with their own personal lap throw. It provides warmth and comfort at home and during their treatment at the cancer centre.
- Afghan Squares – Ukrainian Project for orphans.
- Baby Blankets – for incubators in the Oshawa NICU unit.
- Baby Hats – Distributed to the area hospitals: Oshawa and Cobourg.
- Lap Throws – for Oshawa Cancer Center.
- Pneumonia Vests – Africa, nursing homes and our Northern Outreaches of Yellowknife, Moosonee and Thunder Bay.
- Prayer Squares
- Sleeping Mats – Milk bags are collected, cut into strips and knit, crocheted or woven into sleeping mats. These are sent to Africa.
“Twiddlemuffs” are sent to local nursing homes which provide visual, tactile and sensory stimulation for people with dementia or Alzheimer’s. (New project 2017)
We’ve been busy praying, knitting, weaving . . .
Since we began in September 2006… as of March 2016 we have provided:
- 216 Prayer Shawels
- 657 Baby Hats
- 302 Sleeping Mats
- 84 Vests
- 800++ Prayer Squares
- 354 Nursery Items for Oshawa NICU
- and 625 Ukranian Squares.
Recipients have been from:
- Eldad & Hampton church families and Solina & Hampton Communities
- Baby Hospital Nurseries – Oshawa, Port Perry, Cobourg
- Wings Maternity Home
- Northern Outreach Program
- Nursing Homes
- Dr. Simonés Missionary Project
- Refuge (Oshawa)
- Strathaven & Marnwood Nursing Homes
- and Ukraine Homeless Girls.