~ 1874 – On May 7th construction began for the then “Bible Christian” Church when the Honourable Senator John Simpson laid the first cornerstone.
The property had once been the site of a hotel, owed by a Mr. Pye, but that building was relocated across the street and moved North a year earlier and exists today as a house.
The total cost to build was $7,000 with plenty of labour and materials being donated by local members. Mr. Wm. Cann donated the wood for the pews.
The bell was purchased from St. John’s Anglican Church in Bowmanville, paid for mostly by Mrs. H. Elliott who believed a true church wasn’t a church unless it had a bell.
~ 1875 – On Feb 5th the building was dedicated with the community celebrating the opening of the Church with morning, afternoon and evening services, as well as a dinner that cost 75¢ per person (dinner 50¢/ tea 25¢).
~ 1884 – Became a Methodist Chapel when the Bible Christian and Methodist churches merged.
~ 1898-99 – Below is a short note posted in the Eastern Ontario Gazetteer and Directory by F A Cole, Postmaster when it was a Methodist Church. link (note photo seen in link is not connected to church).
A village in DarlingtonTownship, Durham County, Ontario 27 miles west of Cobourg, the county seat, and 5 miles north of Bowmanville, on the G T R its nearest railway and banking point. It contains a Methodist church and public school. Stages daily to Bowmanville.. B N W Tel. Pop 250.
F A Cole, Postmaster”
~ 1905 – Pews where rented yearly by family members. It was recorded this year that Mr. Cephas Johns rented a pew for $4.00.
~ 1925 – Became a United Church when various Methodist and Presbyterian churches merged.
That year it was renovated as it celebrated it’s Golden Jubilee (50th). Celebration services were held on February 22, 25, and March 1st, and included guest preachers, special music from choirs, and a tea in the basement after the Wednesday service.
~ 1934 – Church steeple hit by lightening.
~ 1938 – Church steeple hit by lightening, second time.
~ 1947 – A.L. Pascoe honoured after 30 years as Recording Steward and as member of the board of Hampton United Church. Canadian Statesman Jan. 9th, 1947. http://vitacollections.ca/claringtonnews/2714496/page/2
~ 1955 – Baptismal font (pictured on right) was received in May of this year.
Given by sisters, Mrs. Ken Caverly and Mrs. J. A. Cole, in memory of their father, Cephas W. Souch – who loved this church. Ten children were baptized that day!
~ 1958 – Church shed torn down to provide space for parking cars and for upcoming addition the following year.
The church shed had been built to provide a place for horses and buggies. It was also a place where large church dinners and gatherings were held prior to the C.E. Wing addition.
~ 1959 – C.E. Wing built, which included gymnasium with stage, kitchen, and two bathrooms.
~ 1975 – Centennial Celebrations (100th). Here’s a link to the article titled “Hampton United Church – Celebrates its Centennial” that appeared in the Canadian Statesman, Bowmanville on July 2, 1975.
~ 1996 – First annual “Christmas Craft Show & Bake Sale”, Saturday, Oct. 5th.
~ 2003 – That fall 12 windows were replaced at a cost of around $41,000.00. Money used was from a bequest to the church from the Kypers. The glass was chosen that had a ruby red glass in a similar style to the original windows. Pewter glass dividers were chosen as it would give the best aged looked, as well as go well with the lead in the two front stained glass windows behind the choir. $12,000 was spent on a new door & windows in downstairs vesitbule.
~ 2011 – Bell Tower Renovation – for details see link.
~ 2016 – New Metal Roof – for details see link.
The modern-day Hampton United Church is a hub of activity for the village of Hampton. Its location at the central intersection in Hampton gives the church a prominence which makes it the architectural focal point of the village. Surrounded by mature trees and an iron fence, the church has a particularly fine setting which enhances its Gothic Revival Design. The Christian Education Wing acts as the unofficial community center and plays host to a number of community events like card nights and themed dinners.
- Memories of a Village called Hampton by Kimberly Archer-Hughes.
- Articles from the Canadian Statesman.