1874 – Construction Begins

church with steeple 2

Construction on the Hampton United Church started on May 7, 1874, when the Honourable Senator John Simpson laid the first cornerstone. The property once was the site of a hotel, but that building was relocated across the street and moved North and exists today as a house.

The community celebrated the opening of the Church in February with morning, afternoon and evening services, as well as a dinner that cost a total of 75 cents per person! Continue reading “1874 – Construction Begins”